The SPSC for Children's Mental Health is Seeking New Members
Become a member of the Vermont’s State Program Standing Committee (SPSC) for Children’s Mental Health. We are a committed group of Vermonters who perform the following activities:
- We evaluate the quality and responsiveness of mental health services statewide by reviewing the designated mental health agencies (e.g. Howard Center, Clara Martin Center, United Counseling Service, Inc. etc.).
- We assist in hiring key Department of Mental Health (DMH) management.
- We provide input regarding DMH policies and state’s system of care plan.
- We review aggregate data on grievances and appeals to look for trends in frequency or topic and make recommendations for changes to the system.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of DMH and their staff give the committee insight into the latest developments in VT. The committee is also a voice of the community to the Departmental of Mental Health and VT policy makers. Moreover, the Standing Committee often hears from a broad spectrum of people in the field of mental health and is on the cutting edge of news and developments in Vermont.
Currently the Committee is seeking members who are:
- Youth with lived experience
- Family members of those with lived experience
- People who work in mental health field or other interested community members
The SPSC meets from 10AM to 1PM at the Department of Mental Health in Waterbury on the 4th Friday of each month or virtually. We require interested persons attend at least two meetings before applying. If the prospective member and the Committee then agree to move forward, the Committee votes to recommend to the Governor to appoint the candidate to the Committee.
Members who are eligible are reimbursed for mileage and may also receive a stipend for every meeting attended ($50 per meeting). All members are eligible to receive stipend/mileage reimbursement if they are not otherwise reimbursed.
For previous meeting minutes, upcoming meeting agendas, and other helpful information about the State Program Standing Committee, please see the DMH website at: