General & Introductory Co-Occurring Resources
- Co-Occurring Center of Excellence launched by The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) in September 2003, was the first national resource for the field of co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders (COD). Although COCE concluded in March 2009, the site remains an available resource.
- Co-Occurring Collaborative of Southern Maine advocates for best practices, encourages professional development, and maximizes collaboration among individuals and organizations that serve people affected by co-occurring issues involving mental health and substance use.
- Dual Diagnosis Recovery Network This site is partially funded by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities and the Tennessee Department of Health Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services. Although the self-help and advocacy services are for Tennessee residents, the site has a comprehensive online bookstore, several full text articles, and the Dual Network Magazine.
- New Hampshire Dartmouth Psychiatric Research Center is one of the most well respected dual diagnosis research centers. Includes descriptions of ongoing dual diagnosis projects, lists of dual diagnosis publications and books (which can be ordered), and dual diagnosis assessment instruments.
- Treatment Improvement Exchange is a resource sponsored by the Division of State and Community Assistance of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment to provide information exchange between CSAT staff and State and local alcohol and substance abuse agencies. The TIE Contract is funded by the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Dual Disorders Special Topics page on the site provides a starting point to jump to a number of important federal and private documents and reports on co-occurring disorders. It hosts a discussion list serve on co-occurring disorders.
- Drug Abuse and Mental Illness: Fast Facts developed by the National Drug Intelligence Center.
Friends Connection—Developing Personal Goal Plans and the Recording Process Personal Goal Plans are documents in which articulates the goals of the consumer, that lists specific steps the consumer and the peer counselor will take so that the stated goals can be reached, identifies person(s) responsible for each step, and sets the target date for completion and review. The development of the personal goal plan should include the participation of not only the consumer (to the best of their ability), but of other service providers (of the consumer's choice) involved in the consumer's treatment.
- Alcohol and Mental Health Fact Sheet (or a similar document) discusses how alcohol and mental health interact, ways in which alcohol makes mental health conditions worse, and links between alcohol dependence and other mental conditions.
- Dual Diagnosis of Australia and New Zealand includes a list of downloadable documents according to a specific type of drug and mental health.
- Co-Occurring Disorder: Integrated Dual Disorders Treatment: Information for Consumers handout about co-occurring recovery and what integrated treatment is. Also gives action steps for people who have co-occurring conditions.
- No-fault Illnesses by Dual Recovery Anonymous discusses how mental health and substance use conditions are inherently biological conditions.
- Dual Diagnosis: Information and Treatment for Co-occurring Disorders introductory information about co-occurring conditions.
- Missouri Department of Mental Health, Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs has a brief co-occurring fact sheet, also has info for providers. Also has paragraph involving other family members and friends with treatment and recovery.
- Overcoming Substance Use and Mental Disorders: A Guide to Recovery From Co-Occurring Disorders (from the State of Connecticut) is a one page general fact sheet developed by the State of Connecticut.
- Anxiety Disorders and Alcohol Abuse discusses specific anxiety conditions and treatments.
- Tips for Talking About Traumatic Events has sections for parents, teachers, and emergency/disaster response workers.
- Parenting Issues for Women with Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders Who Have Histories of Trauma discusses optimizing treatment, parenting roles, and strengths. Various parts of this handout could be selected for consumer distribution.
- Family Psychoeducation: Information for Consumers talks about what psychoeducation looks like, how to implement it within the family, and expectations and results.
- Blamed and Ashamed: The Treatment Experiences of Youth With Co-occurring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disorders and Their Families has action steps for providers, families, and youth before the report.
- The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health has developed two co-occurring family guides- one for families which can be downloaded for free.
Moving Beyond Stigma: Information for Families of People who have Co-occurring Mental Health and Substance Use Problems brochure developed in Canada that focuses on stigma and feeling validation.
Dual Diagnosis: Adolescents with Co-occurring Brain Disorders & Substance Abuse Disorders is a handout for family members with adolescents, not necessarily for adolescents.
Co-Occurring and Youth is primarily aimed at professionals, but could be adapted for distribution. Gives signs of substance use, focuses primarily on depression.
- Parenting Issues for Women with Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders Who Have Histories of Trauma is a handout that discusses optimizing treatment, parenting roles, and strengths.
- Wisdom of Women: Peer Support for Women with Co-Occurring Disorders and Histories of Trauma: newsletter.
Health & Medication
- Methadone and Mental Functioning discusses the possible effects methadone may have on a person’s brain.
- Mending Mental Health During Methadone Maintenance Treatment handout that discusses the commonality of mental health and substance use conditions. Discusses side effects, medicines that help, psychotherapy, and recovery.
- The Dangers of Substance Abuse During Methadone Maintenance Treatment details how alcohol and other substances hinders recovery through methadone and mental functioning.
- Methadone Interactions with Other Drugs discusses the potential effects of mixing methadone with over the counter, herbal, vitamins and pain medications.
- Medications for Mental Illness gives a good summary of category and medication that is prescribed for mental health conditions.
- Medication Management Approaches in Psychiatry: Information for Families and Other Supporters is a 7 page handout that discusses common questions regarding medication (also for families of consumers).
- Your Role in Safe Medication Use is a brochure discussing safe medication use.
- Dual Recovery Anonymous provides perspective on recovery and medication through the AA/NA philosophy and accepting differences.
- Resources for Returning Veterans and Their Families Finding Mental Health, Trauma and Substance Abuse Services discusses resources both for veterans and families, where to find services, and other info (statistics, etc.).
- Smoking and Mental Health discusses how smoking effects the brain, effects of stress, and various mental health conditions.