VERMONT DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH
COMMISSIONER DESIGNATION AS A
PHYSICIAN/APRN WHO CAN PERFORM EMERGENCY EXAMINATIONS
Purpose: The Commissioner of the Vermont Department of Mental Health (DMH) designates physicians/APRNs who are not specialists in psychiatry to perform Emergency Examinations of individuals screened at general hospital emergency departments or within the Department of Corrections. This procedure describes the process by which a physician/APRN will receive designation to conduct Emergency Examinations in Vermont.
Authority : Vermont Statutes 18 V.S.A. § 7110; 26 V.S.A. § 1616
- Completion of an application;
- One of the following: a.) Attendance at a QMHP training; or b.)Completing the on-line training module for physicians/APRNs for conducting Emergency Exams on the Vermont Department of Mental Health’s website;
- Completion of test questions;
- Completion of a mock 1st Certification;
- Appropriate and current credentials for practicing medicine; and
- Attestation by the hospital’s chief medical officer or Department of Correction’s Health Services Administrator confirming status of hospital medical staff.
- Any licensed physician/APRN working at or in a state-licensed hospital/medical center or within the Department of Corrections may apply for designation to perform emergency examinations at the facility. An application form is attached herein.
- The completed application is submitted to the Office of the Commissioner of Mental Health.
- The commissioner’s office assistant records receipt of the application and checks the Medical Practice Board’s Website/Office of Professional Regulation for verification that the applicant is in good standing.
- All applicants must complete either a QMHP classroom training, or, if not available, the online training module and attach both a completed test (provided by DMH on their website http://mentalhealth.vermont.gov/providers) and a mock 1st Certification to their application.
- DMH reviews the application, results of the online training module test, and the mock 1st Certification.
- The Commissioner confirms designation via a written letter of designation.