Frequently Asked Questions

Children & Families

Here are some recommended questions to ask when discussing medications with your child’s psychiatrist or primary care physician. (attach Dr. McMains’ “Medications Information Form”)


If you use the internet to search for information about psychiatric medications, please use caution and only use reliable sources. Talk to your child’s doctor about where to find valid information about medications and related side effects. One option is the National Institute of Mental Health.

General Questions

The Department of Mental Health has contracts with a private nonprofit agencies in Vermont to provide mental-health care. They are called designated agencies, or community mental health centers. If you are looking for other services, please contact Vermont 2-1-1.

The Office of Professional Regulation is responsible for licensure, certification, registration and disciplinary matters for 44 professions and occupations. Search the database of licensees, download complaint forms and learn about what is required of each licensed professional before obtaining a license. The Vermont Secretary of State, Office of Professional Regulation website.