About the Department of Mental Health
It is the mission of the Vermont Department of Mental Health to promote and improve the mental health of Vermonters.
Mental health will be a cornerstone of health in Vermont. People will live in caring communities with compassion for and a determination to respond effectively and respectfully to, the mental health needs of all citizens. Vermonters will have access to effective prevention, early intervention and mental health treatment and supports as needed to live, work, learn and participate fully in their communities
We support and believe in the Agency of Human Services’ values of respect, integrity and commitment to excellence and express these as:
Excellence in Customer Service
- People receiving mental health services and their families should be informed and involved in planning at the individual and the system levels
- Services must be accessible, of high quality and reflect state-of-the-art practices
- A continuum of community-based services is the foundation of our system
Holistic Approach to Our Clients
- We can promote resilience and recovery through effective prevention, treatment and support services
- It is important to foster the strengths of individuals, families and communities
- Strong leadership, active partnerships and innovation are vital strategies to achieve our mission
- We are accountable for results.